About the journal
Journal of Open Aviation Science is an open-access peer-reviewed journal, established by researchers for researchers. It promotes high quality open science, open data and reproducible scientific research for aviation, as such practice is largely missing in current aviation research. Our primary objectives are:
- to promote reproducible research in the aviation sector using open source tools and open data; and
- to encourage the reproduction of existing research in aviation research domain.
In addition to original scientific research, we welcome replication of existing research publications using open source implementations and open data. Particularly, we welcome contributions comparing the performance of reference models with their open source counterparts.
Each submission is carefully and openly reviewed, based on the quality of the manuscript and on the reproducibility of research. Tables and figures must be submitted with accompanying publically available code, explanations, tests and data. Code shall be tested in order to guarantee that any researcher can re-use it.
We welcome the following types of papers
Original aviation research article with open data and open code.
Reproducing results from previous aviation related research, sharing open code and data.
Paper announcing a significant open dataset in the aviation domain.
Paper announcing a significant open-source tool or programming library for aviation research.
APC fee (APC free)
Currently, we do not charge any article processing fees, as the journal is supported by researchers with their spare time.
JOAS has very different workflows compared to existing aerospace journals. We designed these new workflows to promote open reviewing, sharing, and reviewer recognition. The main differences are:
- Once a manuscript passes the initial check, we publish the submission as preprint automatically.
- We will start with our platform but may switch to a different preprint service later.
- We encourage authors to invite other researchers to join the discussion
- Community reviews are equally important as reviews from invited reviewers
- Authors and invited reviewers' identities are both known.
- Our platform provide fully transparent discussions during the review.
- This will makes the review report also citable.
- Reviewers will also benefit from this new research output. (i.e. reviewers are authors of this report)