Researching the stability of CaO from different precursors under varying absorption times
AbstractCaO was prepared from three different precursors (calcium carbonate, calcium L-ascorbate, calcium D-gluconate). The samples were calcined at four different temperatures (750 °C, 800 °C, 850 °C, 900 °C) and those with the highest internal surface area were chosen for use within the absorption/desorption cycle research.
Of the synthetised samples the one prepared from calcium carbonate and calcined at 850 °C had the highest internal surface area (34,54 m2/g). Of the samples which underwent different adsorption cycles the ascorbate sample seemed to benefit most from shorter absorption cycles, increasing its projected long-term performance from 20,5% to an impressive 97,1%.
2. Valverde, J.M. Ca-based synthetic materials with enhanced CO2 capture efficiency. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2013. 1, 447-468 DOI: 10.1039/C2TA00096B.
3. Wenqiang Liu, B.F., Yueqin Wu, Guoxiong Wang, John Barry, João C. Diniz Da Costa Synthesis of Sintering-Resistant Sorbents for CO2 Capture. Environmental Science & Technology, 2010. 44, 3093-3097 DOI: 10.1021/es903436v.
4. Agnieszka M. Kierzkowska, R.P., Christoph R. Müller CaO-Based CO2 Sorbents: From Fundamentals to the Development of New, Highly Effective Materials. ChemSusChem, 2013. 6, 1130-1148 DOI: 10.1002/cssc.201300178.
5. Saima Sultana Kazi, A.A., Julien Meyer, Johann Mastin High performance CaO-based sorbents for pre- and post-combustion CO2 capture at high temperature. Energy Procedia, 2014. 63, 2207-2215 DOI: 10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.240.
6. Hong Lu, P.G.S. Calcium Oxide Doped Sorbents for CO2 Uptake in the Presence of SO2 at High Temperatures. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2009. 48, 5454-5459 DOI: 10.1021/ie900162k.
7. Hong Lu, A.K., Panagiotis G. Smirniotis Relationship between Structural Properties and CO2 Capture Performance of CaO-Based Sorbents Obtained from Different Organometallic Precursors. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2008. 47, 6216-6220 DOI: 10.1021/ie8002182.
8. Borgwardt, R.H. Sintering of nascent calcium oxide. Chemical Engineering Science, 1989. 44, 53-60 DOI: 10.1016/0009-2509(89)85232-7
Permission to make digital or hard copies of all or part of this work for personal or classroom use is granted under the conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike (CC BY-SA) license and that copies bear this notice and the full citation on the first page.