Het Slot Well of het Huis van Malsen

  • D.B.M.(Taco) Hermans
  • Edwin Orsel
  • Elly van Soelen

Samenvatting

The castle of Well in the province of Gelderland probably originated in the early 14th century from a small brick residential tower situated on a castle island surrounded by a moat, possibly with a palisaded front area on the west side of the island. Apart from the fact that there is a rectangular cellar with light- or shooting chases, a water well and an entrance on the west side, there is not much to be said with any certainty about this phase.

It is likely that the in the course of time the residential tower was extended on one side possibly with a walled-in courtyard with a round tower in at least one corner. Shortly before 1519 the tower was probably fitted with a clamp and heightened.

Over a vaulted cellar the building acquired two floors with small windows and an attic under a hipped roof. The outer walls were probably finished with battlements on a frieze of round arcading, whereby the east wall also acquired two turrets. The design of the tower is striking in the early 16th century. A defensive character seems to have been aimed at, with very closed outer walls, turrets and battlements, in a period when all this no longer made much sense.

Subsequently, probably after a French destruction in 1672, the castle was extensively refurbished. The levels were altered, whereby the new, larger windows were applied. The roof was kept in place. For a long time the castle did not change substantially, until in 1884-85 it was extended on the west side with an interconnective section and a counterpart of the residential tower.

In 1928-1934 the last constructional interventions took place, among other things on the outer walls and a gate building and adjacent gate house were also added on the outer bailey.

##submission.authorBiographies##

D.B.M.(Taco) Hermans
Ir. D.B.M. (Taco) Hermans studeerde bouwkunde aan de Technische Universiteit Delft en was na zijn studie aan deze universiteit verbonden als bouwhistoricus. Voerde in de periode 1985-1990 binnen een eigen bureau (Bureau Hermans en Kamphuis) in opdracht van het Bureau Rijksbouwmeester een aantal bouwhistorische documentatieprojecten over diverse kastelen uit, vastgelegd in uitvoerige rapportages. Werkte vanaf 1990 als monumentendeskundige bij het Gelders Genootschap te Arnhem. Sinds 2001 is hij als senior adviseur verbonden aan de Rijksdienst voor de Monumentenzorg te Zeist. In zijn vrije tijd doet hij nog steeds onderzoek naar kastelen, met name naar de woontorens in Nederland, waarover hij een boek voorbereidt.
Edwin Orsel
Ir.ing. Edwin Orsel studeerde bouwkunde aan de HTS te Groningen en aan de TU te Delft. Na enige jaren werkzaam te zijn geweest bij en voor verschillende bouwhistorische bureaus, met name het FBB en Bureau Kamphuis, is hij sinds 2001 als bouwhistoricus werkzaam bij het Bureau Monumenten en Archeologie van de gemeente Leiden. Daarnaast richt hij zich op kastelenonderzoek en is lid van de gemeentelijke monumentencommissie van Helmond en van de gecombineerde welstands/monumentencommissie van Delft.
Elly van Soelen

Drs. E.C. van Soelen-de Kam studeerde Kunstgeschiedenis met specialisatie architectuur aan de Universiteit Utrecht en Restauratiekunde aan de TU Delft. Zij is lid van de monumentencommissie te Oisterwijk en was eerder lid van de welstandscommissie te Blaricum.

Hoe te citeren
HERMANS, D.B.M.(Taco); ORSEL, Edwin; VAN SOELEN, Elly. Het Slot Well of het Huis van Malsen. Bulletin KNOB, [S.l.], p. 104-116, aug. 2005. ISSN 2589-3343. Beschikbaar op: <https://journals.open.tudelft.nl/index.php/knob/article/view/Hermans104>. Datum gebruik: 19 juli 2018 doi: https://doi.org/10.7480/knob.104.2005.4.259.
Gepubliceerd
2005-08-01